It's late summer/early fall and you have a a TON of zucchini and squashes. What to do? The answer is to make a yummy Ratatouille! Yes it takes some time to clean and slice everything just so, but it is a lot easier if you use a mandoline. And it is so worth it. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Spread tomato paste in the bottom of a 10 x 10 baking pan (note: I used an 8x8 pan and it worked just fine).
3. Sprinkle with onion and garlic, and stir in one T of olive oil and water until thoroughly combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Arrange alternating slices of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper, working from the outer edge of the dish and working concentrically towards the center. Overlap the pieces slightly to display the colors.
5. Drizzle the vegetables with the 3T of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover vegetables with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit inside the dish.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are roasted and tender. Serve with dollops of mascarpone cheese.