For the second test kitchen trial of the NYT’s special sheet-pan dinner section from February 2021, we tried the Sheet-Pan Sausages and Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard. And it was a huge win. I did not vary from the recipe as is except that I chose not use add the options yellow mustard seeds or chopped nuts. But I did use hot Italian Sausage, and that gave it a nice kick along with the mustard flavor. I think without that it may have been a little too bland. I served them with mashed potatoes to make sure my little athletes also got the carbs that they need. I encourage you to add it to your busy weeknight meal rotation, too!
Here’s the recipe as I used it:
Sheet-pan Sausages and Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard
· 1 pound fresh sausage, such as sweet or hot Italian, or bratwurst
· 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
· 1 pound small potatoes, like baby Yukon gold or red potatoes, halved
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
· Kosher salt and black pepper
· 4 teaspoons honey
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees, and place a sheet pan in the oven. Score the sausages in a few places on both sides, making sure not to cut all the way through. Transfer to a large bowl with the brussels sprouts, potatoes and 2 tablespoons olive oil, and stir until coated. (If the mixture seems dry, add a little more oil.) Season with salt and pepper.
2. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the heated baking sheet, and arrange the vegetables cut-sides down. Roast 15 minutes, until the brussels sprouts and potatoes start to soften. (The sausages will not be cooked through yet.)
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the honey, and mustard.
4. Drizzle the honey mustard over the sausages and vegetables, and toss or shake to coat. Flip the sausages. Roast until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are golden and tender, another 10 minutes or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Kris Delaney is a marketing executive, foodie, travel enthusiast, and book nerd based in Atlanta, GA.