I love olives and their briny flavors. So when I saw this recipe for a variation on sheet pan chicken with both turmeric and olives, I had to give it a try in the Delaney Test Kitchen. This was a simple recipe that my husband and I enjoyed very much. The kids, not so much. Next time I’ll just give them marinara sauce and keep the olive dressing for ourselves.
Vinegar Chicken With Crushed Olive Dressing
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with turmeric and 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Make sure chicken is skin-side up, then pour vinegar over and around chicken and place in the oven.
2. Bake chicken, without flipping, until cooked through and deeply browned all over, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine olives, garlic, parsley, the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
4. Once chicken is cooked, remove baking sheet from the oven and transfer chicken to a large serving platter, leaving behind any of the juices and bits stuck to the pan.
5. Make sure the baking sheet is on a sturdy surface (the stovetop, a counter), then pour the olive mixture onto the sheet. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently scrape up all the bits the chicken left behind, letting the olive mixture mingle with the rendered fat and get increasingly saucy. Pour olive mixture over the chicken, then serve.
Kris Delaney is a marketing executive, foodie, travel enthusiast, and book nerd based in Atlanta, GA.